Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Shuckin' Shoes!

Last weekend I was wearing my oyster shuckin'

shoes. Well, not literally. I just ate my fill of oysters.

I like then raw, fried, steamed, fried, broiled,

baked, whatever , I love them. I remember when I

was in college, the fraternity that I was a little sister

for, had an oyster roast. Being right near the

water/ocean/harbour, we had some frat brothers go

out in their boats to local oyster beds just offshore

and get bushels and bushels free. That is allowed as

long as you have a valid fishing liscense that cost a

big whopping $5.00.



Well, that evening we steamed those oysters in the

oven and we ate oysters to hog heaven. I swear

that I was excreting sea water, I ate so many. Last

weekend I had oysters rockefellow and oysters

savannah. Man, were they good. I think everyone

just about knows what oysters rockefellow is but I

had not heard of the oyster savanah before. It is

oysters topped with shrimp, crabmeat, smoked

bacon and cheddar cheese. Heaven!

Last winter, I had the pleasure of eating or trying

oyster pie for the very first time. That was out of this

world. Here is a recipe that I have tried for oyster

pie. I have 2 others but this one I like the best.

Oyster Pie

3 thick slices bacon
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
18 shucked oysters, drained with liquid reserved
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crusts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over

medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain bacon,

reserving 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Crumble

bacon and set aside.

Heat bacon grease and vegetable oil over

medium heat. Stir in flour and cook until flour is

light brown. Slowly whisk in milk and 1 cup reserved

oyster liquid. Stir until a thick gravy has formed

Stir in Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning

and oysters. Pour mixture into a 9 inch pie shell and

cover with top crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until

crust is golden.


0 Broken Heels: